Central Board of Secondary Education has taken another initiative for reaching out to all stakeholders. In its pursuit of qualitative improvement of education in all CBSE affiliated schools, CBSE has prepared 10 Handbooks / Manuals on various innovative and qualitative measures taken by the Board during the 2018-19 and 2019-20 academic sessions. In addition to this, for the first time, CBSE has also prepared a calendar of major activities to be done in the academic session 2019-20. These Handbooks / Manuals as well as the CBSE Activity Calendar were released by the Hon’ble Minister of Human Resource Development, Government of India, on 12th
1. Handbook on Experiential Learning: CBSE has mandated Experiential Learning as the pedagogy for schools and also as the annual theme for training. With the increased significance and thrust in education for acquiring 21st Century Skills, Experiential Learning has gained momentum. This Handbook gives details about the features, mechanisms, processes, checklists and lesson plans based on Experiential Learning. This Handbook is created in a very innovative manner and it uses real life discussion to get across the concepts. http://cbseacademic.nic.in/web_material/Manuals/ExperientialLearning.pdf
2. Guidelines on Art Integration: Another important initiative is Integration of Arts in Education. The Art Integration document contains details on the importance of Arts, Arts as pedagogical tool for experiential and joyful learning, guidelines for Art-Integrated Learning for teachers and principals and a suggestive list of activities and projects for reference. It also directs schools to have two periods of Art Education per week.
3. Manual on Integrating Artificial Intelligence across Subjects: CBSE has taken up Artificial Intelligence as a multi-disciplinary integrated pedagogical approach to further enhance teaching and learning across classes 6th to 12th. The Manual on Integrating Artificial Intelligence across Subjects is an attempt to propose how schools may train the trainers to match relevant topics/themes from the curricula with AI concepts. It contains details on the importance of Artificial 2 Intelligence and Artificial Intelligence Tools as pedagogical support for experiential learning.
Guidelines for Teachers can be found in the form of Lesson Plans integrating AI in Classroom Teaching.
4. Artificial Intelligence Facilitator Manual: CBSE has prepared Artificial Intelligence Facilitator Manual and the AI training video to manage the subsequent trainings of trainers on the Artificial Intelligence Curriculum.
5. Manual for Teachers on Joyful Teaching and Learning of Mathematics: The Board has prepared Manual for Teachers on Joyful Teaching and Learning of Mathematics. It provides inputs for teachers to make the teaching and learning of Mathematics joyful by engaging students in meaningful activities.
6. Handbook on Hubs of Learning: CBSE has formed Hubs of Learning which is a cluster of 5-6 schools which will share best practices and resources as an enabling instrument. Although the Board is training all the Lead Collaborators of all the Hubs, the Handbook on Hubs of Learning will give the ‘extra’ which adds value to any initiative or programme.
7. School Quality Assessment and Assurance (SQAA): In view of the great need to improve standards of school education, focus has to be shifted on the performance and improvement of schools. The Manual on School Quality Assessment and Assurance (SQAA) provides selflearning material for schools for introspection and improvement.
8. The Compendium of Courses after +2: This Compendium is an earnest effort of the Board to facilitate students while scouting for right course choices. It has listed 114 courses ranging from courses like Biotechnology, Pharmacy and Bachelor of Arts to the new and upcoming fields like Cyber Security and Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning. It gives the details of what the course is about, eligibility and institutions offering the course.
9. Manual on Outcome Based Inspection for Affiliation: In its continuous journey of reform and evolvement, the Central Board of Secondary Education, in a landmark move to ensure that the quality of education meets defined standards, revamped the Affiliation Bye-Laws vide D. O. No. CBSE/AFF-B.L./SECY/2018 dated 18.10.2018. The Affiliation Bye-laws now lay a thrust on academic excellence and depict a paradigm shift focusing on achievement of learning outcomes.
The outcome based monitoring at various levels is not only academic but includes other related aspects of school life like physical, health, social and emotional growth of learners. The Manual on Outcome Based Inspection for Affiliation contains the detailed guidelines for the members of inspection committee. It not only elaborates the outcome based framework, but also aids the Inspection Committee members with the procedure for inspection and ways of gathering evidence.
10. Handbook on Eco-Clubs and Water Conservation: The Board, through this Handbook, proposes schools to strengthen Eco-Clubs and create measures for water conservation. While Eco-Clubs would continue to promote environment and climate literacy and motivate learners to become champions for environmental sustainability, the thrust of this year’s activities will be on water conservation.
In addition to the above, नई पहल: एक प्रवेशिका has been prepared. This is a primer in Hindi containing the gist and details of major Handbooks and Manuals.
You may also follow the timelines given in the Activity Calendar 2019-20 , already uploaded on CBSE websites. For any query in this regard, you may write to firstname.lastname@example.org.